Support us! GearJunkie may earn a small commission on affiliate links in this article. Learn more.
GoPro Labs firmware updates offer more ways to start (and stop) the cameras. As with other functions created in the labs, the impact will depend on each user.
Adventure lovers now have more control over their GoPro cameras. from saving the battery to muting the recording process. After all, most action shots require other things to be considered.
One reason for these particular updates is that they improve the situation for niche users. How they will be used with a wider audience is difficult to predict.
We can think of new end uses, especially with the motion triggers. Hunters can use a GoPro like a game camera. Skateboarders or bikers can set up a camera and only have it recorded when they are in the picture.
And no more dead batteries because you forgot to click “Stop” during a snack or beer break. This saves storage space, battery and editing time.
Thanks to a new USB activation, someone will inevitably record wild dashcam footage. Or prevent accidental mode changes and camera shots with a one-button mode. Everything is new here.
New GoPro functions
GoPro Labs firmware works with HERO9 Black, HERO8 Black, HERO7 Black, and GoPro MAX. Here are the details:
- Camera movement triggers: An accelerometer and / or a gyroscope will trigger the start / stop detection when motion is detected.
- USB current release: Activates USB-triggered start / stop functions such as serving as a dash cam.
- Motion detection improvements: Motion detection is now supported in all video modes including 360 degree motion detection on MAX.
- Simplified live streaming QR code: Start live streaming as soon as you are connected to a specific Wi-Fi network.
- One-button mode with one setting: A one-button mode where the operator can only start / stop acquisition to avoid accidental mode changes.
- New exposure modes: Set the settings for the timer-controlled exposure lock and the minimum shutter speed.
- New QR code controls: QR code controls in 5K and HindSight capture for HERO9 Black.
Again, some of these features are updates to newer models and firmware, but the ability to further customize and save settings opens up more options for the brand’s creative users. Perhaps to expedite some new uses, the brand is inviting users to take part in their Anything Awesome Challenge, with cash rewards as an incentive.
The new firmware is compatible with HERO9 Black, HERO8 Black, HERO7 Black and GoPro MAX. It can be downloaded from GoPro.com/LabsFind out more about this and previous experimental updates here.