Support us! GearJunkie may earn a small commission on affiliate links in this article. Learn more.
Curious what events will actually take place this year? Are you hoping to run a marathon that is not virtual? And what about the Olympics? We have the information here on what races and events to watch out for in 2021.
Run, ride a bike, swim, ski – if this year’s event list is an indicator, 2021 is the year to get back outside! Here are some of the most famous and highly anticipated events of 2021. We scoured the internet and scoured our sources to find out everything from marathons to desert gravel races to elite competitions on the world stage.
Here are the categories to browse below:
To make it easier for you to navigate the list, we have marked each event with notes on details such as location, date changes and the question of whether the registration of an event is still open or sold out. We only recorded events that were officially planned.
Editor’s Note: While these events are currently planned, they may be canceled or postponed due to COVID-19. Check with any race organizer or state and local guidelines for the most up-to-date information. We will update this list as soon as further events are announced, postponed or canceled.
New shoe, new record: Walmsley, HOKA Break American 100K Mark
Like its predecessor, the sequel to the Carbon X shoe by HOKA ONE ONE has a mission: to break records. And just like its predecessor did. Continue reading…
Run and ultra races
- Great Las Vegas background, Nev. (April 3): 44, 76, or 100 mile distances
- “The not canceled marathon, ”Oconomowoc, Wisc. (May 1-2): As the name suggests, the non-canceled marathon will take place no matter what
- Grand TetonsWilson, Wyo (June 4-5) and Yellowstone Half Marathons, Jackson, Wyo. (June 11-12): Registration open
- Leadville Trail Marathon and Heavy Half (June 19) and Leadville 100Colo (August 21-22): Registration open
- Twisted Fork Ultra, Park City, Utah (June 26)
- Western States Endurance Run, Olympic Valley, California (June 26-27): Registration full, no lottery for 2021
- Hardrock 100 Ultra, Silverton, Colorado (July 16)
- Badwater 135 Ultra, Furnace Creek, California (July 19-21): “The toughest foot race in the world”
- Cirque series, Snowbird, Utah (August 28)
- The Barkley Marathons, Wartburg, Tenn. (October 2021, dates not yet announced)
The race is on: Leadville Series opens lottery for runners, MTB
The 2021 lottery for the famous Leadville Race Series is now open. Cyclists and runners, here is your chance to take part in the race. Continue reading…
Bicycle and triathlon
- Leadville Trail 100 MTB, Colo .: (August 14th): Registration open
- Waterloo gravel road race, Grass Lake, Michigan (April 17): Choose from fat bike, tandem, or single-speed, 50-km or 100-km routes
- 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 series: Texas (11 April), Florida (April 18), Utah (May 1st) and more: registration open, multiple locations
- Dirty Turtle Gravel Grinder, Souris, ND (May 1)
- CO2UT: Salsa Cycles Desert Gravel Race, Grand Junction, Colorado (May 22): Registration open, limited places available
- Wasteland gravel, Medora, ND (May 30): Distances of 40, 80, and 120 miles
- Garmin Unbound Gravel Race, Emporia, Kan. (June 5): Unbound (formerly Dirty Kanza) offers a total of six race tracks
- Tour Divide 2021, Alberta, Canada to the US-Mexico border (June 11): Confirmed, start location is subject to change
- Ride the Rockies, Durango, Colorado (June 13-18): Registration open
- BC cycling race, Vancouver, British Columbia (July 4-10): Confirmed, with backup dates in September
- SBT GRVL, Steamboat Springs, Colorado (August 15): Sold out
- Step into the plane, Colo. (September 10-12): Registration begins in autumn
Skimo and Nordic races
- Natural Selection Backcountry Snowboard Tour, Jackson Hole, Wyo (February 3-9)
- Red Bull Magnitude surf competition, Hawaii (ends February 28)
- Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, Colorado Springs, Colorado (June 27)
- Red Bull Rampage, Virgin, Utah (canceled in 2020, Return October 25th)
- Patagonia eco-challenge (Fall 2021, not confirmed): If you thought so 2020 Eco-Challenge Fiji was epic, wait and see what this year’s race has in store for you
Colorado’s Euro-style ski traverse: the road connecting from hut to hut
This cabin ride through Colorado’s San Juan Mountains is the closest you can get to skiing in Europe without hopping a plane. Continue reading…
From Mary Murphy
Mary is based in GearJunkie’s Denver, CO office. She has degrees in English and Journalism and has been writing professionally for over four years. Her outdoor interests range from running to sport climbing, from landscape photography to pack paddleboarding. If she’s not writing, you can most likely find her on top of a fourteenth or at a local bakery.